Significant growth led to the commercialisation of the Royal College of Physicians as its Trainees, Members and Fellows programmes became attractive to other health professionals. This expansion was not reflected in RCPI’s previous online presence. Users faced multiple logins, clunky navigation, elaborate form-filling, and an inconsistent content/look/feel.
The goal of this new site was to set an improved level of accessibility to information and online services for RCPI’s key stakeholders. The project needed to be focused on usability, interactivity and accessibility; selling products nationally and internationally; having a clear corporate and professional brand and identity to build trust with key stakeholders and getting people engaged with RCPI.
Multiple in-depth interviews, research and analysis was undertaken to develop a set of wireframes for the new site, which were user tested and developed into the final site structure and look & feel.
Some of the innovative features of this website include:
• Single Sign On to multiple services provided by different vendors (users can directly access up to five separate online services with just one click, including payments, rather than 5 different logins)
• Personalised “Dashboard” of upcoming courses, meetings and events of interest – targeted at groups of users based on attributes (type of membership, medical specialty, etc).
• Targeting of courses & events to relevant members (with custom promotional content)
• Content audit / restructure (600+ pages)
• Distance learning / webcasting (live / catch-up), free / pay-per-view
• Highly Secure
• Social Media integration
• Mobile compatibility
The new website led to a significant ROI – earlier/easier payment of subscriptions, applications and bookings (15,670 service interactions since April 2013 launch) have greatly reduced the volume of low value-added administrative work across the college. The RCPI Helpdesk has benefited with login queries being reduced by 50%.
We are writing to thank you all in DV4 for helping to bring the new RCPI website online.
Your expertise and hard work was a crucial factor in the success of this project.
Feedback from our staff members, Trainees, Members and Fellows has been extremely positive. OPur medical community has praised the modern design, the quality of the written content and the overall ease of use, while our staff members have said how proud they are of our new website, as it now reflects what we are really like as an organisation.
We would also like to thank you on behalf of the College Executive and the RCPI project team for making this project an all-round positive experience for RCPI. Your openess, flexibility and friendly manner helped in no small way to keep this large-scale, challenging project on track and running smoothly